Billionaire philanthropist MacKenzie Scott is officially divorced from her second husband
- MacKenzie Scott is officially divorced from her second husband, Dan Jewett.
- Scott filed for divorce last September after quietly removing references to Jewett from her online posts.
MacKenzie Scott and her second husband, Dan Jewett, are officially divorced.
Scott, a philanthropist and the ex-wife of the Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, filed a petition for divorce in King County Superior Court in Washington last September. According to court documents viewed by Insider, the divorce was finalized on January 4.
Jewett is not seeking spousal support. The couples property and other assets have been divided according to a confidential separation contract, according to the court documents.
Scott and Jewett, a former science teacher, were married in early 2021. But last September, The New York Times reported that Jewett had been quietly deleted from several of Scott's online posts about her philanthropic endeavors, including on the Giving Pledge website, in a Medium post about her charitable giving, and on her Amazon author bio.
Scott is worth $20.6 billion, the Bloomberg Billionaires Index estimates. Her divorce from Bezos in 2019 made her a billionaire, mainly because of her 3% stake in Amazon.
Read the final divorce order:
Over the past three years, Scott has become one of the nation's leading philanthropists, a mission she appeared to share with Jewett, who was a chemistry teacher at Lakeside School, a Seattle-area private school that Scott's children attended. Scott and Jewett announced their marriage in March 2021 via a post on the Giving Pledge's site — Jewett had signed on to Scott's commitment to give away at least half her wealth during her lifetime or shortly after her death.
"I am married to one of the most generous and kind people I know — and joining her in a commitment to pass on an enormous financial wealth to serve others," Jewett wrote beside a photo of himself and Scott.
Now, Scott's Giving Pledge page contains a new headshot of her and no mention of Jewett. Recent recipients of grants from Scott have thanked only her, while in the past, they thanked both her and Jewett, The Times reported.
Scott gave away over $2 billion in 2022, bringing her total to over $14 billion. In September, she donated two Beverly Hills, California, mansions worth roughly $55 million to the California Community Foundation, a Los Angeles-area charity — in a statement about the gift, the foundation's CEO thanked Scott alone.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report