Call of Duty, Diablo and Overwatch are among the major titles expected to be made available on Xbox Game Pass
- Microsoft has announced the acquisition of
Activision Blizzardin a $69 billion deal.
- The company will get the rights to titles like Call of Duty, Diablo, Overwatch and more.
- Some of the games are expected to be made available on the
Xbox Game Passonce the deal is closed.
AdvertisementIn one of the biggest deals in the gaming industry, Microsoft on Tuesday announced that it is acquiring Activision Blizzard, the powerhouse behind games like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and popular puzzle game Candy Crush.
Microsoft will now become the third-largest gaming company by revenue, just behind Tencent and Sony. The acquisition will help accelerate growth in the company’s gaming business across PC, console and mobile.
Microsoft now owns the rights to Activision’s popular titles like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Tony Hawk, Hearthstone and Candy Crush. Let’s take a look at what this means for the company and Xbox
“We will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard’s incredible catalog,”
Xbox Game Pass, which is priced at ₹489 per month for either PC or console and ₹699 per month for both PC and console already offers access to over 100 titles, including the likes of Halo, Rainbow Six Siege, Forza Horizon, Gears 5 and more.
While it is too early to say which games will be made available for Game Pass users, here are some of the major titles that may be offered –
Call of Duty
Call of Duty, which has been one of the biggest first-person shooters since its launch in 2003 is expected to be made available to Game Pass users soon after the deal is completed. The game’s latest iteration, Call of Duty Vanguard and Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War will be the biggest highlights of the series.
Diablo, the popular action role-playing game is expected to be among the initial titles that will be made available for Game Pass users.
Overwatch 2, which is expected to be launched next year is expected to be added to the game pass when the deal closes in 2023. It will be a first-person shooter and will build on its predecessor that was launched in 2016. The game is set in near-future earth and player’s fight in a 6 vs 6 battle.
World of Warcraft
World of Warcraft, the popular role-playing game that has its own subscription model is expected to be kept out of the Game Pass.
There’s not much known about the other titles at present. We should know more about them over the coming months.
Xbox Cloud Gaming
In addition to Game Pass, Microsoft’s cloud gaming platform will also benefit from the latest acquisition.
“And when we look ahead and consider new possibilities, like offering Overwatch or Diablo, via streaming to anyone with a phone as part of Game Pass, you start to understand how exciting this acquisition will be,” said Satya Nadella, chief executive officer, Microsoft.
Microsoft is quietly bringing in billions from its Netflix-like Game Pass service as subscribers top 25 million
Activision's market value is still 14% below what Microsoft plans to pay for it — and that suggests investors don't think the deal will get done
'Call of Duty' could become an Xbox exclusive after the Microsoft-Activision deal closes — but fans on PlayStation can rest easy for now
Popular on BI
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani