ChatGPT may be the fastest-growing consumer app in internet history, reaching 100 million users in just over 2 months, UBS report says
- ChatGPT may be the fastest-growing app in history with 100 million users after just over two months.
- A UBS report showed that it took TikTok over nine months to reach the same number of people.
ChatGPT may have become the fastest-growing app in history after it was estimated to have reached 100 million monthly active users, or MAUs, by the end of January, a report by Swiss banking giant UBS said.
The OpenAI-owned chatbot has surpassed 100 million MAUs just over two months after its launch — comfortably beating the growth speeds of major apps like TikTok and Instagram, according to the UBS note, which Insider has viewed.
It took TikTok nine months to reach the same level of users; Instagram took two and half years; and Spotify only amassed 100 million MAUs after four and a half years, the report said, citing data from data analytics firm Similar Web.
"In twenty years following the Internet space, we cannot recall a faster ramp in a consumer internet app," UBS analysts wrote in the report.
The number of MAUs on ChatGPT has almost doubled since December when it had around 57 million, per the report. Additionally the app was averaging 13 million daily unique visitors per day by the end of January, compared to around six million daily unique views the prior month.
"We cannot remember an app scaling at this pace," UBS analysts added in the report.
OpenAI did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment about the report, sent outside of normal US business hours.
The chatbot was launched in November and experienced a rapid surge in popularity as a result of its eerie human-like capabilities to code, write cover letters, and take exams. It amassed one million users in just five days.
Shortly afterwards, Microsoft extended its support of OpenAI through a multibillion-dollar investment in the AI firm, announced in January. The tech giant had already invested $1 billion into the firm in 2019.
On Wednesday, OpenAI introduced a $20 per month subscription plan called ChatGPT Plus, which will allow users to access the platform at all times, as well as receiving faster responses from the chatbot.
- New SIM card rules from Dec 1 include bulk purchase restrictions – All you need to know
- Netflix to bring popular game 'GTA: The Trilogy' on its mobile app in Dec
- Resilient India to outperform most global economies in FY24, says Client Associates
- Embrace the winter warmth: Unveiling the benefits and uses of ginger
- Love bombing, AI-powered humour: Dating trends popular with the young