China is preparing an antitrust investigation into Google at Huawei's request, according to a report
Chinais planning to launch an antitrust investigationinto Huaweisuggested the probelast year, two people with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- The investigation would examine whether Google's market dominance is causing “extreme damage” to Chinese companies, they said.
China is reportedly preparing to launch an
The probe, which could be confirmed as soon as October, was suggested by the Chinese
The probe would examine whether Google has hindered competition through the dominance of its Android mobile system, the people said. It has been submitted to Beijing for review by China's top market regulator, the sources said.
After US President Donald Trump blacklisted Huawei in May 2019, Google stopped rolling out Android updates to Huawei devices, and blocked new Huawei phones from Google services, such as Gmail.
One of the people said the probe could examine whether Google has caused "extreme damage" to Chinese firms.
Whether the investigation proceeds could be determined by relations between China and the US, the sources said. Trump is continuing to crack down on Chinese tech companies, including Huawei and ByteDance, saying they pose national security risks.
Huawei is one of more than 275 Chinese companies on the US' Entity List. The trade blacklist bans American companies from doing business with these firms — now, US firms can only trade with Huawei if they get special permission.
Google is also facing an antitrust case in the US, too: Reuters reported Wednesday that the Justice Department would sue Google as soon as next week, citing three sources familiar with the process. The DOJ is currently asking state attorneys general to sign onto the suit, they said.
The case is set to focus on Google's dominance of internet searches.
Google did not respond to Reuters' request for comment, while Huawei declined to comment.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Karnataka releases new guidelines for international passengers
- No confirmed case of Omicron COVID-19 variant in India so far — both Centre and states have tightened scrutiny at airports
- India records new COVID-19 cases below 10,000 mark for the third consecutive day
- Jio tariff hike and reports of bid for UK telco British Telecom help Reliance bounce back
- Valorant Mobile: Gameplay, release date and what to expect