Clubhouse unleashed its long-awaited Android app as downloads are cratering, but it's still invite-only
Clubhouseis headed to Androidphones.
- The app release comes after iPhone downloads spiraled down in April.
- Android users can download the app starting Sunday, but they still need an invite to access it.
Clubhouse, an audio-only chat app, has released its long-awaited app for Android users as part of a beta test.Starting Sunday, Android users can download the app and install it on their phones, but they still won't be able to use the app without an invite from an existing user. That's meant to keep the app's servers running if downloads surge.
But as more people are vaccinated for COVID-19 and society reopens, it's unclear if Clubhouse will hold on its momentum.The app's arrival on Android phones could reverse the slowdown.
Still, the $4 billion startup behind the app is taking a measured approach."As a part of the effort to keep the growth measured, we will be continuing the waitlist and invite system, ensuring that each new community member can bring along a few close friends," the company said in a press release. "As we head into the summer and continue to scale out the backend, we plan to begin opening up even further, welcoming millions more people in from the iOS waitlist, expanding language support, and adding more accessibility features, so that people worldwide can experience Clubhouse in a way that feels native to them," Clubhouse said.
The app for Android is currently only available in the US. The company said it will gather feedback and fix any issues in the weeks ahead, as it slowly expands to other English-speaking countries and then worldwide.
Paige Leskin and Katie Canales contributed to this report.Are you a Clubhouse insider with insight to share? Contact Melia Russell via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Signal at (603) 913-3085. Open DMs on Twitter @meliarobin.
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists
- Sun TV Network's advertising revenue shrinks, but profit jumps 11% on subscriptions