Dogecoin plummets during Elon Musk's 'Saturday Night Live' hosting gig as Robinhood experiences issues
- The value of the cryptocurrency Dogecoin fell during Elon Musk's episode of "Saturday Night Live."
- The altcoin is now trading at 47 cents, a 36% dip over the past 24 hours, according to Coinbase data.
- At the same time, Robinhood tweeted that its app was experiencing difficulties with trading.
The price of Dogecoin fell sharply during billionaire Elon Musk's appearance on "Saturday Night Live" on May 9.The cryptocurrency, which started as a joke in 2013 but recently gained popularity with Musk's vocal support, traded at 47 cents as of 9:35 a.m. in New York, a 36% decline over 24 hours, according to Coinbase data.
"Update: We're currently experiencing issues with crypto trading," Robinhood tweeted during Musk's performance. "We're working to resolve this as soon as possible."
-Robinhood Help (@AskRobinhood) May 9, 2021Robinhood told Insider that the platform's crypto-trading was "back up and running" about 30 minutes after it first reported difficulties. Robinhood declined to comment on whether the issues were tied to the "SNL" performance.
-Robinhood Help (@AskRobinhood) May 9, 2021
Dogecoin was originated in 2013 by IBM software engineer Billy Markus and Adobe software engineer Jackson Palmer.This year, Dogecoin has had more than a 12,000% year-to-date rally, and spiked the week prior to Musk's hosting gig on "Saturday Night Live." The Reddit group Wall Street Bets, which cheered an unlikely rally of GameStop stock earlier this year, has also championed Dogecoin.
- Best fitness bands for men in India in 2021
- After Google noticed a lack of diversity in most ads it surveyed, it has now launched a toolkit for marketers to help make advertising more inclusive
- Tata Motors and Tata Power have jointly set up India's largest solar carport, aims to reduce 7,000 tonnes of carbon emissions
- Best Electric Toothbrushes in India
- Top 2-ton split ACs for big rooms and halls