Elon Musk puts $44 billion Twitter deal on hold over fake accounts
Business Insider India
Elon Muskhas announced that the $44 billion Twitter deal is on hold.
- The Tesla cofounder claimed that the deal has been put on hold to verify Twitter’s estimate of fake users.
- Musk has not revealed how he intends to verify Twitter’s claim.
According to a Reuters report, Twitter in its filing had estimated that false or spam accounts represent less than 5% of its monetizable monthly daily active users during Q1 2022.
“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” Elon Musk said in a tweet.
Twitter had served over 229 million users with advertisements during the quarter. As per the company, less than 11.45 million of these users were fake.
Twitter's share price slumped nearly 20% following Musk’s tweet that the acquisition has been put on hold. At the same time, Tesla’s share price rose by nearly 5%.
In one of his earliest tweets regarding Twitter acquisition, Musk has said “If our twitter bid succeeds, we will defeat the spam bots or die trying!” He further added that he wanted to “authenticate all real humans.” It’s not clear whether this means verification or approval process.
Musk has revealed that he is currently in talks with investors to raise funds for the Twitter acquisition. He also revealed that he has raised $7.1 billion in equity commitments from Larry Ellison, Sequoia Capital, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal and Qatar Holding.
Twitter loses 2 executives as it freezes most hiring ahead of Elon Musk's takeover
The SEC is investigating Elon Musk over his late disclosure that he had purchased Twitter stock, a report says
Elon Musk says he wants to meet his Chinese doppelgänger, Yilong Ma — that is, if he isn't a deepfake
Popular on BI
- Temperature's Toll: Hospitals see a surge in drug and alcohol abuse-related visits on hotter nights, study reveals
- Passive flows account for 42% of foreign capital flows in 2023
- Explained: How Covid-19 heightens risk of heart attack, stroke
- Pankaj Tripathi starrer Fukrey 3 gets a flying start at the box office
- Monthly orders via WhatsApp on JioMart see 7X growth in a year