Elon Musk said his weird jokes, like naming himself 'Technoking,' get Tesla free press. 'I think I'm funny.'
Elon Muskappeared in court on Monday to defend Tesla's acquisition of SolarCityin 2016.
- Musk was questioned about his decision to name himself "
Technoking" of Tesla.
- Musk replied it was a joke that gave Tesla free press. "I think I'm funny," he added.
Elon Musk said in court on Monday that his sense of humor gave Tesla free press.
Musk appeared in the Delaware Court of Chancery on Monday to defend Tesla's acquisition of SolarCity, a solar panels company, in 2016. The case is brought by Tesla shareholders, who allege the deal amounted to a bailout of SolarCity and benefitted Musk, who owned a 22% stake in the solar-panel company at the time.
The plaintiffs' attorney Randall Baron asked Musk about his decision in March to officially change his title at Tesla to include "Technoking." The AP reported that Baron used the title change to claim Musk's management style was controlling.
Musk replied that the title change was a joke - and that he thought his sense of humor was good for Tesla. "It generated a whole bunch of free press and Tesla doesn't advertise and it's helpful to general sales," he said, per Reuters.
"If we are entertaining people, they would write stories about us and we don't have to spend on advertising which would reduce the price of our cars," Musk said, per Bloomberg.
"I think I'm funny," Musk added.
Musk said during Baron's cross-examination that he "rather hates" being CEO of Tesla and would rather spend his time on design and engineering - but that the company would "die" without him.
CNBC reported that the
According to Bloomberg's Billionaire Index, Musk's net worth is estimated at about $187 billion.
Do you work at Tesla Energy or are you a Tesla Energy customer? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Always use a non-work email.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200