Elon Musk said the worst job he's ever had was so dangerous, it put him at risk of getting hyperthermia
- Elon Musk said on a podcast that his least favorite job was a short-term position at a lumber mill when he was a teenager.
- The job required him to shovel "steaming" sand and mulch out of a wood-pulp boiler.
- The job was dangerous, Musk said, since it would be hard to get someone out of a boiler in an emergency.
- Workers in and outside of a boiler would have to switch positions every 15 minutes so they wouldn't get hyperthermia.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
But Musk's most unpleasant job came years before
As a teenager, Musk wanted to move to the US from
The position required him to shovel "steaming" sand and mulch out of a wood-pulp boiler, Musk said. A worker outside the boiler would then remove the sand and mulch from a tunnel leading into it.
Musk said the job was dangerous, since each boiler had just one small tunnel as an entrance and exit. If the tunnel was full, it could spell trouble in an emergency.
"It'd be really hard to drag somebody out," Musk said. "It does not seem safe because if the tunnel gets blocked, trying to unblock that tunnel would be very difficult in a short period of time."
Musk added that the workers inside and outside of the boiler would switch positions every 15 minutes to avoid getting hyperthermia.
The job lasted just four days, and paid around double the hourly rate Musk's other options offered.
Musk would move to the US a few years later to attend the
You can watch Musk's full interview here.Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion about what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach out on Signal at 646-768-4712 or email this reporter's encrypted address at email@example.com.
- Read more:
- Elon Musk says you still don't need a college degree to work at Tesla. Here's what he looks for in job applicants instead.
- Elon Musk took a victory lap after his weird EDM song broke the top 10 on SoundCloud
- Elon Musk made almost $12 billion in the past week as Tesla's stock soars. Here's how the eccentric CEO makes and spends his $45.2 billion fortune.
- Elon Musk said he wants to 'nuke' Mars - these are 37 of his other wildest quotes
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know