Elon Musk tweets 'Facebook sucks' at Facebook AI lead who said Musk has 'no idea what he's talking about about when he talks about AI'
- Tesla CEO
Elon Muskis notorious for making broad, grand statements about artificial intelligence. Jerome Pesentitook Musk to task on Wednesday, saying the Tesla CEO "has no idea what he is talking about when he talks about AI."
- Musk, who fathered a child with the musician Grimes earlier this month, responded to Pesenti at 1 a.m. on Thursday morning. "Facebook sucks," he said.
- Musk has been openly critical of Facebook for years and has advocated for people to delete their accounts in the past.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk doesn't like Facebook, and he's made that opinion known repeatedly.
In February, Musk openly advocated for Facebook users to delete their accounts. Musk's companies, SpaceX and Tesla, don't have a presence on the social network.
And this week, when Facebook Head of AI Jerome Pesenti publicly criticized Musk's understanding of artificial intelligence — saying that Musk "has no idea what he is talking about when he talks about AI," Musk took the opportunity to clap back.
"Facebook sucks," Musk said via Twitter for iPhone at around 1 a.m. PT.
Musk believes that
"I think generally people underestimate the capability of AI — they sort of think it's a smart human," Musk said at a talk with Alibaba CEO Jack Ma at the World AI Conference in Shanghai, China last August. "But it's going to be much more than that. It will be much smarter than the smartest human."
And he's made much more alarming statements than that. "AI is a fundamental risk to the existence of human civilization," he said in 2017. "I have exposure to the most cutting edge AI, and I think people should be really concerned by it."
To that end, Musk has a company — Neuralink — that he's hoping will bridge the gap between human intellect and what he sees as far superior artificial intelligence. He was also an investor in several AI startups.
But AI researchers, including Pesenti, have criticized Musk's public statements about the current state of AI.
"There is no such thing as
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Mumbai
- Reliance Retail receives full subscription amount of Rs 2,069.50 cr from KKR, allots 1.71 cr shares
- As inflation continues to remain high, RBI likely to keep interest rates unchanged
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Bangalore
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning