Elon Musk says Neuralink implanted a chip in a monkey's brain, and now he 'can play video games using his mind'
Elon Musk's Neuralinkimplanted a chip that enabled a monkeyto "play video gamesusing his mind."
- Musk claimed as much in a wide-ranging interview on Clubhouse on Sunday night.
- Neuralink is focused on human-computer interfaces for artificial intelligence in people.
Elon Musk's human-computer-interface company, Neuralink, seems to be off to a strong start.
"We've already got a monkey with a
"One of the things we're trying to figure out is can we have the monkeys play mind 'Pong' with each other," he said. "That would be pretty cool."
Neuralink has been testing neural interfaces on animals for years. In a video released last year, Neuralink demonstrated its work on a pig named Gertrude.
In that video, Neuralink demonstrated its ability to record and try to predict actions based on a wired chip implanted in Gertrude's brain.
But Musk said the video-game-playing monkey got a wireless chip that enabled it to control an electronic interface with its mind only.
"He's not uncomfortable, and he doesn't look weird," Musk said. "And you can't even see where the neural
The wireless bit is particularly important, as it could eliminate the potential for infection that comes with wires protruding from organic material.
"If you can do experiments with something that doesn't involve wires coming through the skin, that's going to improve the welfare of animals," Andrew Jackson, a neuroscience professor at the University of Newcastle, told Insider last year.
Listen to the full interview here:
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts
- IPL has given me confidence to remain calm under pressure: Rinku Singh
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments