Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet is coming to India – here's how you can pre-book your connection
Starlink / SpaceX
Starlink satellite internet serviceis coming to India in 2022.
- Starlink has started accepting pre-bookings, with a fully refundable deposit of $99 (approx. ₹7,300).
- If you want early access to the
Starlinkinternet service, you can pre-book using a debit or credit card.
- Currently, Starlink promises speeds of 50-150 Mbps, but this could be doubled to 300 Mbps by the end of 2021.
The Starlink service is operated by SpaceX, an aerospace company.
Starlink satellite internet launch date in India
AdvertisementAccording to information available on its website, Starlink is targeting its India launch sometime in 2022.
The exact launch time frame is not available right now, but you can head over to the Starlink website and pre-book your connection right now.
Starlink availability in India
Most of the major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru and others seem to be covered. For exact coverage details and to see if your address is covered, you can head over to the website and enter your details to see if you can pre-book now.
Here is how much Starlink will cost in India
Starlink has started accepting pre-bookings for Indian addresses. The price has been set at $99 (approx. ₹7,300) towards deposit for the service. This payment is towards the Starlink equipment that will have to be installed at your address to access the internet service.
Once you make the payment, your priority access gets reserved in your location. This deposit is fully refundable, so even if you change your mind after paying, you can still get your money back.
Starlink accepts payments via debit and credit cards, as well as Apple Pay. However, Apply Pay is currently not available in India.
What will be the internet speeds offered by Starlink?
During the current beta testing phase, Starlink is offering speeds between 50-150 Mbps. However, Elon Musk has revealed that speeds will be doubled to 300 Mbps by the end of 2021.
Musk also said that the Starlink project will cover “most of the Earth” by the end of 2021.
Should you subscribe to the Starlink internet service?
This depends on where you are located, and whether you have access to reliable wired or wireless broadband services.
If there are no decent broadband options available in your area, the Starlink satellite internet service might make sense in your case.
Broadband access remains an issue in India even now, with there being a little over 22 million wired broadband users in the country. Contrast this to mobile subscribers, which numbered over 115 million, according to data obtained from the latest TRAI report.
A World Bank report has revealed that an increase of 10% in broadband penetration is likely to boost the gross domestic product (GDP) by 1.38% in developing countries like India.
SpaceX's Starlink: Everything you need to know about Elon Musk's internet service
Starlink's internet speed will double to 300Mbps by this year, says Elon Musk
Elon Musk once again says SpaceX's Starlink internet service will IPO once its cash flow is more predictable
Popular on BI
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Aditya Birla AMC IPO’s grey market premium stands at ₹70 per share; up 10% from issue price band
- WATCH: "Someone said I am good enough to be a rickshaw puller," shares Freshworks CEO Girish Mathrubootham in a candid chat
- DU admission 2021 — Checkout the cut-off list dates
- Here are the top ten most watched Netflix series
- Gujarat State Fertilizers and Chemicals surges over 4% on reports of anti-dumping duty approval
- Google Meet is testing live translated captions, here’s how you can enable them
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya entrance exam for classes 6 and 11 — Here is how to check results online