Everything you need to know about CES 2020 - the biggest tech show of the year
- The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is celebrating its 53rd year in 2020 - it started way back in June 1967. The show runs from January 7 to January 10, 2020.
- CES sets the stage for all the technological innovations that will arrive in stores in 2020 and beyond.
- In 2019, CES drew in more than 175,000 attendees and drove more than 226,000 pieces of media coverage in print, online, and broadcast outlets.
- CES 2020 is expected to host major announcements from the world's highest-profile consumer technology companies, including Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, and more.
- We'll be at the show this year to check out all the best new products. Here's what we expect to see at CES 2020.
CES 2020 marks the 53rd annual run of the nation's biggest and most important consumer technology show. Having run every year in early January in Las Vegas, Nevada for years now, it kicks off the year's product cycle for consumer tech in countless categories, from TVs and headphones to laptops and even appliances.
This is the first time of the year that the media gets to preview nearly all of the gadgets and devices that will be released throughout the year. It's also a golden opportunity for technology makers to show off concepts for devices that won't hit shelves for another year or more - if at all.
Suffice it to say that CES is an incredibly exciting event for both technology media and fans of tech watching from afar via live streams and media coverage.
We'll be reporting live on the hot tech you can look forward to buying throughout 2020, so here's what to expect and your hottest questions answered.
What are the dates for CES 2020?
CES 2020 begins on Tuesday, January 7, and ends on Friday, January 10. However, you'll begin seeing media coverage of the major announcements as early as Sunday, January 5 - that's when the keynote addresses begin.
Is CES 2020 open to the public?
Unfortunately, CES is a trade-only event. This means it is not open to the public. Only folks that are 18-years-old or older, and affiliated with the consumer tech industry, are permitted to attend. Friends, family, and children under 18 connected or related to attendees are also permitted.
How much does it cost to get into CES 2020?
Luckily for us, the media are permitted into CES 2020 free of charge, as it has been for years. However, for anyone else in the industry, it's going to cost some cash, and there are three tiers of access: straight registration costs $300, the "Starter Conference Pass" calls for $900, and the "Deluxe Conference Pass" requires a whopping $1,700. Here's what each of those tiers include. If you become a member of the Consumer Technology Association, or CTA, you can save 25% on the two more expensive packages.
What does CES stand for?
Of course, CES is an acronym, which stands for the Consumer Electronics Show. The show is put on by the CTA, which was formerly known as the Consumer Electronics Association, or CEA, before a name change in 2015. The first-ever CES was held on June 24, 1967 in New York City over four days.
What can we expect to see at CES 2020?
At a top level, you can expect to witness unveiling for products in dozens of major categories. Generally, CES is known to be a hub for advances in television technology, mobile computing, automotive, audio technology, appliances big and small, smart home gadgets, drones, virtual reality devices, gaming technology, and more. Here's a breakdown of what we anticipate from the biggest brands expected to show off new gear at CES 2020:
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best floodlights for outdoors in India
- CCI approves HDFC Bank's acquisition of 4.99% stake in HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
- Best front lights for bicycles in India
- Best document scanners for office and home use in India
- BCCI announces two new IPL teams — Check out the owners of Lucknow and Ahmedabad franchises