Facebook might be changing its name - and people have plenty of suggestions for what it should be
- Facebook is reportedly changing its name and may announce it next week.
- Twitter has been filled with jokes and guesses on what the new brand might be.
Facebook is rebranding and will adopt a new name, The Verge reported Tuesday.
The name, which could be announced as soon as next week, will steer the brand toward CEO Mark Zuckerberg's goal of becoming a "metaverse company," instead of just a social-media platform, the report said, citing a person with direct knowledge of the matter. The Facebook app will likely exist under the new brand's name, kind of like Google existing under the Alphabet umbrella, the report added.
Inevitably, Twitter users have begun speculating about what it could be and poking fun at the news, which comes as Facebook remains embroiled in regulatory scrutiny and broad public backlash.
-Nick Statt (@nickstatt) October 20, 2021
-Will Oremus (@WillOremus) October 20, 2021
- chipzel ✨ (@chipzel) October 20, 2021
-Mike Sington (@MikeSington) October 20, 2021
-Imani Gandy Corn (@AngryBlackLady) October 20, 2021
-OM (@om) October 20, 2021
-Paul Rudnick (@PaulRudnickNY) October 20, 2021
-Turner Novak (@TurnerNovak) October 20, 2021
Many users joked that Zuckerberg would rebrand the company as "The Facebook," which was once the platform's name before it famously dropped the "the."
-The Kleevil Dead (@MilesKlee) October 4, 2021
Facebook has been rocked in recent months by a series of Wall Street Journal reports based on leaked documents about several of the company's business practices, including its research into Instagram's effects on teens' self-confidence. The whistleblower behind the leaks later testified in front of Congress, saying Facebook prioritized profits over safety and needed intervention.
Facebook said it was hiring 10,000 people across Europe to work specifically on Facebook's metaverse mission.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- India to add 80 airports in next 4-5 years; new rules for aerodromes