Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen is raising funds to train lawyers to fight big tech
According to a report in Politico, Haugen wants to start 'Beyond the Screen' a nonprofit that will also focus on incentivising investors to look into how socially responsible a tech company is before giving it money and giving regulators and researchers an inside look into how platforms work.
"Before (my revelations), each of us could only see what was on our own screen. What changed with the disclosures is that we now know what's going on beyond our own screens. It changed the calculations on how we all approach these companies," she was quoted as saying in the report.
The former Facebook employee, who spent the last several months testifying to the US, European and Australian authorities, has secured some early-stage funding from donors.
The whistleblower aims to build a simulated social network, an artificial platform in which regulators, researchers and others can war-game potential scenarios.
Haugen last year testified before the US and European lawmakers after she leaked a cache of internal Facebook reports.
The reports revealed several alarming policy and moderation failures at Facebook, but lawmakers focused most intensely on documents concerning Instagram's mental health impacts on young users.
These reports led the committee to hold additional hearings with representatives from other popular social platforms like Snapchat, TikTok and YouTube.
Facebook pulls GOP Senate candidate's ad touting a violent vision of going 'RINO hunting'
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- Sensex, Nifty50 trade in the green amidst volatility: Coal India, Airtel, Maruti Suzuki amongst top losers
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June