Fortnite developer Epic Games raises $2 billion to grow metaverse efforts
The funds will be used to boost Epic's dream to build the metaverse. Sony and KIRKBI invested $1 billion, respectively, in Epic.
"This investment will accelerate our work to build the metaverse and create spaces where players can have fun with friends, brands can build creative and immersive experiences and creators can build a community and thrive," said Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder,
Epic's post-money equity valuation is now $31.5 billion.
Epic Games is known for building playful and creative experiences and empowering creators large and small.
"A proportion of our investments is focused on trends we believe will impact the future world that we and our children will live in," said Soren Thorup Sorensen, CEO, KIRKBI.
The closing of the investment is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals, said the company.
Sony recently made a huge push into the metaverse when it acquired Destiny developer Bungie this year.
Adani Power and Tata Power in a race to cross ₹1 lakh crore market value
Electric two-wheeler sales surge over 5 times – Hero Electric, Okinawa corner half the market, Ather’s market share declines
Popular on BI
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024