GoodWill ransomware detected in India makes victim donate to poor, provides financial help to needy patients
"GoodWill ransomware was identified by
Once infected, the
"The actors suggest that victims perform three socially driven activities in exchange for the decryption key- donate new clothes to the homeless, record the action, and post it on social media, take five less fortunate children to Dominos Pizza Hut or KFC for a treat, take pictures and videos, and post them on social media and provide financial assistance to anyone who needs urgent medical attention but cannot afford it, at a nearby hospital, record audio, and share it with the operators," the report said.
Once all three activities are completed, the ransomware asks victims to write a note on social media (Facebook or Instagram) on "how you transformed yourself into a kind human being by becoming a victim of a ransomware called GoodWill."
Upon completing all three activities, the ransomware operators verify the media files shared by the victim and their posts on social media.
The actor will then share the complete decryption kit which includes the main decryption tool, password file and a video tutorial on how to recover all important files, the report said.
"Our researchers were able to trace the email address, provided by the ransomware group, back to an India-based IT security solutions & services company, that provides end-to-end managed security services," the report said.
Elon Musk replies to Pune techie's witty tweet, says he does not run the techie's account
Billionaire wealth rose more in 2 years than in the last 23 years combined
Popular on BI
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 pm, Rajya Sabha till 2:30 pm over Adani issue
- Amul milk price increased – here’s how much Amul and others are selling milk for
- Electric two wheeler sales volume in India expected to reach 22 million by 2030, says Redseer report
- Holy Cow! China clones three 'Super Cows' to produce milk by the gallons
- Fresh off his trip from Bihar, Bill Gates rolls an Indian roti and enjoys it with ghee