Google will invest $10 billion in India, as CEO Sundar Pichai says India will lead the next wave of innovation
Google for India screenshot
- Google has announced that it will invest a whopping $10 billion in India through the Google for India Digitization Fund.
Sundar Pichai, the CEO of Google said that the investment will be done over the next 5-7 years.
- The company has identified four investment areas in India.
Google will invest in the following four areas
- First, enabling affordable access and information for every Indian in their own language, whether it’s Hindi, Tamil, Punjabi or any other
- Second, building new products and services that are deeply relevant to India’s unique needs.
- Third, empowering businesses as they continue or embark on their digital transformation.
- Fourth, leveraging technology and AI for social good, in areas like health, education, and agriculture.
Google follows Facebook – partners with CBSE
Google has also announced a partnership with the Central Board of Secondary Education, just days after social media giant Facebook too had partnered with the board. Through its partnership, Google aims to enable over 1 million teachers across 22,000 schools in India.
The tech giant also announced an additional investment of $1 million into Kaivalya Education Foundation to train 700,000 teachers on online education to impart knowledge to children in low income communities in India.
The company’s marketing head for India and Southeast Asia Sapna Chadha also spoke about Google’s efforts in vernacular language education in India. She said that over the last few years, Google.org, Google’s philanthropic venture, has invested $12 million into companies like TheTeacherApp, Pratham and Central Square Foundation to create content in local languages.
Amazon told employees to delete TikTok from their phones — then walked back the policy and said it was an 'error'
INTERVIEW: Shaaz Jung opens up about the blood, sweat and years behind the viral images of a rare black panther
Intel will speed up Mukesh Ambani’s 5G run, power him with AI and possibly a Jio laptop— all in return for massive amount of data
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala