'Grand Theft Auto' is coming to virtual reality through Facebook's Quest headset
Grand Theft Auto" on Thursday.
- The game is a VR version of "
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," a gaming classic for the PlayStation 2.
For the first time ever, "Grand Theft Auto" is coming to
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg himself announced the news during Thursday's Oculus Connect livestream presentation.
"The Rockstar Games classic 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' is in development for [Oculus] Quest 2," Zuckerberg said. "This new version of what I think is one of the greatest games ever made will offer players an entirely new way to experience this iconic open world in virtual reality."
"San Andreas" is part of a trilogy of "Grand Theft Auto" games from the PlayStation 2 era that are getting remastered for an upcoming release, "Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition."
It looks significantly more modern than the original game:
"San Andreas" originally launched way back in 2004 on the PlayStation 2, and has been ported to a variety of other platforms in the years since - everything from modern game consoles to aging smartphones. Though a subsequent entry in the "GTA" franchise featured a first-person perspective, there has never been a first-person version of any prior "GTA" game.
It's unclear if the version coming to Facebook's
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- From usernames to secret codes for locked chats, here are the upcoming WhatsApp features
- Coal sector PSUs poised to cross ₹21,030 crore Capex target for 2023-24
- Stock markets snap six-day rally; Sensex slumps over 400 points
- From Lathmar Holi to Jallikattu: India's most unusual festivals
- Orient Technologies files draft papers with Sebi to mop-up funds via IPO