'Grand Theft Auto' is coming to virtual reality through Facebook's Quest headset
Grand Theft Auto" on Thursday.
- The game is a VR version of "
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," a gaming classic for the PlayStation 2.
For the first time ever, "Grand Theft Auto" is coming to
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg himself announced the news during Thursday's Oculus Connect livestream presentation.
"The Rockstar Games classic 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' is in development for [Oculus] Quest 2," Zuckerberg said. "This new version of what I think is one of the greatest games ever made will offer players an entirely new way to experience this iconic open world in virtual reality."
"San Andreas" is part of a trilogy of "Grand Theft Auto" games from the PlayStation 2 era that are getting remastered for an upcoming release, "Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition."
It looks significantly more modern than the original game:
"San Andreas" originally launched way back in 2004 on the PlayStation 2, and has been ported to a variety of other platforms in the years since - everything from modern game consoles to aging smartphones. Though a subsequent entry in the "GTA" franchise featured a first-person perspective, there has never been a first-person version of any prior "GTA" game.
It's unclear if the version coming to Facebook's
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (email@example.com), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know