How to change your Reddit username or create a new account
- To change your
- You can only change your Reddit username when it's pre-assigned.
- Once you pick your own Reddit username, it is permanent.
As times change, you may end up feeling buyer's remorse toward your choice of Reddit username.
And while your Instagram and Twitter handles can be changed on any old whim, there are a few caveats to changing your username on Reddit.
Here's what you need to know about changing your Reddit username.
Can I change my Reddit username?
Unfortunately, if you don't like the username you chose when creating your account, you're stuck with it. Reddit doesn't allow you to change your self-assigned username, and the only way to get around it is to create another account. You're allowed to create as many accounts as you like but you can't sync one account with another.
The only way you can change a Reddit username is if it was randomly assigned to you. You get a preassigned username when you create your account using Google or Apple ID. Once you change that, your username is finalized and you cannot change it again.
Quick tip: Your display name is not the same as your username, and you can change it at any time. Reddit only shows your display name on your profile page but everything you post will be under your username.
How to change your Reddit username on desktop
You can change your randomly assigned Reddit username in a few simple steps.
1. Open your preferred web browser on your
2. Click on the dropdown arrow in the top right corner and select Profile in the list of options.
3. You'll then see a pop-up, asking you if you want to change your username. Click on Change Username.
4. Enter your new username, making sure it's between 3 to 23 characters and click on Continue. Pay attention to the red text underneath the textbox, as it will inform you if the username you're entering is acceptable.
5. Since this will be your username forever, Reddit will ask you if you're sure you want to keep it. If you are, click on Save Username.
How to change a Reddit username on the mobile app
If you're using the Reddit mobile app, here are the steps to change your preassigned username.
1. Open the Reddit app on your Android or iOS device.
2. Tap the profile icon in the top right.
3. Select My profile from the list of account options.
4. Reddit will show you a pop-up asking you if you want to keep your assigned username or change it. Tap on Change username.
5. Enter your new username and make sure it is between 3 and 23 characters. Also, pay attention to the red text above – it will let you know the criteria your username must meet to be acceptable. Once done, tap on Next in the top right.
6. Reddit will ask you if you're sure you want to keep the username forever. If you're certain, tap on Save username.
Creating and switching between a secondary account
If you've already picked a username and you're not happy with it, your only choice is to create another account and use that instead. You don't even have to delete your old one, as both accounts can exist at once.
1. Open the Reddit homepage on your favorite browser on PC or Mac.
2. Log out of your existing account by clicking on the dropdown arrow in the top right corner.
3. From the options in the dropdown, click on Log Out at the bottom.
4. Back on the Reddit homepage, click on Sign Up in the top right corner.
5. Enter your email address and click on Continue.
6. Enter your username and password and click on Sign Up in the bottom right when you're done.
Reddit won't require you to verify your new account's email address, but it is recommended. Once the account is created, you can switch between accounts.
1. Open the Reddit app on your smartphone.
2. Tap on the profile icon in the top right.
3. Tap on Settings at the bottom.
6. Select the secondary account you wish to use.
- Richest entrepreneurs under 40 named in the IIFL Wealth Hurun list became more richer by 12% in last one year
- Time taken to deliver items & returns are the key pain points for e-comm consumers
- DGCI allows Serum Institute to export malaria vaccine to UK
- Upcoming cars launching in India in October 2022
- Gurgaon-based Indifi disbursed ₹2,800 crore worth of loans to small business owners