How to turn off read receipts on your iPhone so that senders don't know when you've read their iMessage
- In just three steps, you can turn off read receipts on your iPhone to hide when you've read an iMessage.
- iMessage is an instant messaging service for iOS devices that provides updates on when texts have been delivered and read.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In addition to AirDrop, iMessage is one of Apple's most useful tools.
The instant messaging feature allows you to conveniently send messages, photos, and files using data or Wi-Fi to other iOS devices. The feature also provides updates on when your texts have been successfully delivered and read by the receiver.
Read receipts can be particularly useful when you need to let the sender know that you've seen a time-sensitive message. But it can also be a nuisance if you don't want someone to know that you've seen their message.
If you don't want people to know that you've read their messages, you can turn off read receipts on your iPhone.
Here's how to do it in just three quick steps.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to turn off the read receipt feature on iPhone
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap "Messages" near the bottom of the list.
3. Toggle the slider to the right of "Send Read Receipts" to off. If the slider is grey, then read receipts have been turned off.
Isabella Paoletto/Business Insider
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to text a GIF on your iPhone using the built-in GIF keyboard in Messages or a third-party app
How to save an entire text conversation on your iPhone
How to save audio messages on your iPhone and change your settings so audio messages stop deleting after 2 minutes
'Why is my iPhone not sending messages?': How to troubleshoot iPhone messaging issues
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu