Peanuts TV specials will not air on ABC this year but Apple is making them free for a limited time - here's how to watch 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'
- Apple acquired the rights to air classic Peanuts holiday specials this year.
- Nonsubscribers can watch each special free during a brief window around the holidays.
- PBS will also air the episode.
After 20 years with ABC, the rights to "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown," "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" were acquired by Apple TV Plus.
Each special will be available to Apple TV subscribers throughout the holidays, but anyone can watch free at certain times. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is set to start streaming for subscribers on December 4. Nonsubscribers should mark their calendars, because this is the only special that does not air during the actual holiday; it is scheduled to be free from December 11 to December 13.
Read more: Filmmakers say Apple, HBO Max, and digital rentals rescued their mid-budget movies amid the pandemic and will lead to big changes in Hollywood
After backlash to the streaming only availability, PBS announced it would also stream the specials. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" will air on PBS and PBS Kids on December 13 at 7:30 p.m.
According to Vulture, this would have been the first year since 1965 in which Peanuts specials haven't aired free on broadcast TV. That year, the Christmas special aired on CBS, which was its home until ABC won the rights in 2000. Vulture also reported that Apple was working on producing several new Peanuts specials for Mother's Day, Earth Day, and New Year's Eve. Apple TV's website also shows "The Snoopy Show" debuting in 2021.
Peanuts fans won't need an Apple device to catch the specials this year. Apple TV is available through Amazon Fire devices as well as Samsung, LG, and Roku TVs. Apple TV offers a one-week free trial and then costs $5 a month.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report