EXCLUSIVE: Instagram Reels is being quietly tested in India just days after the TikTok ban
Instagram Reelsis currently being tested in India.
AdvertisementJust days after the
Instagram Reels lets users record 15-second videos with music and audio clips and add them to their stories. The feature seems eerily similar to TikTok, although more details on Reels is awaited.
Interestingly, Facebook and Instagram had recently partnered with Indian music label Saregama to give users access to Saregama’s library for Instagram music.
Sources confirmed that certain users have started receiving the update from Instagram which includes Reels.
"We're planning to start testing an updated version of Reels in more countries. Reels is a fun, creative way for people to both express themselves and be entertained. We're excited to bring this new version to more of our global community. No further plans to share on launch date or countries for now,” a Facebook spokesperson told Business Insider.
Facebook had recently shut down its TikTok clone app Lasso and was concentrating on ‘Reels’ to capture markets. Reels had earlier launched in France and Germany and was reportedly being tested in Brazil as well.
The Indian government had recently banned TikTok along with 58 other Chinese apps. The ban on TikTok left a huge market opportunity for Indian apps to fill up the space for the thousands of content creators. Indian apps like Chingari, Roposo, Khabri, Bolo Indya have taken over the space and are witnessing a huge surge in traffic. The launch of Instagram Reels to the already existing millions of users of Instagram in India could be a threat to the rising users of the Indian apps.
EXCLUSIVE: Chingari app is in talks with a global VC firm after the TikTok rival gets lit with over 10 million downloads
Facebook’s TikTok-clone Lasso is shutting down as Zuckerberg gears up to launch Instagram Reels
Reliance Jio gets ₹1894.5 crore from Intel Capital – the 12th investment in 11 weeks
Popular on BI
- A Google recruiter says he discovered he'd lost his job after a call with one of his candidates suddenly disconnected
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- DGCA slaps ₹10L fine on Go Air for leaving behind 55 passengers at B'luru airport
- Vedanta Q3 net profit drops 41% on higher input costs
- ED attaches 32 properties worth ₹70 crore in fraudulent TDS refund case
- RRR surpasses Cruise’s Top Gun 2 & Spielberg’s The Fabelmans in the top 10 movies of 2022
- Weekend OTTs: Ayushmann Khurrana’s ‘An Action Hero’ to ghost hunts with ‘Lockwood and Co’