Jeff Bezos pledges to give away the majority of his $124 billion fortune to charity
- Jeff Bezos has said he plans to give away the majority of his wealth to charity.
- The billionaire is worth an estimated $124 billion, per Bloomberg.
Jeff Bezos has pledged to give away the majority of his wealth.
Bezos said he planned to dedicate the bulk of this fortune to fighting the climate crisis and supporting people who could unify humanity, per CNN.
He said that the hard part of giving the money away was "figuring out how to do it in a levered way." The couple were "building the capacity to be able to give away this money," he added.
"There are a bunch of ways that I think you could do ineffective things, too," he said. "So you have to think about it carefully and you have to have brilliant people on the team."
The statement is the first time Bezos has pledged to give away the majority of his wealth.
In the past, some have criticized the Amazon founder for not signing the Giving Pledge, a promise by some of the world's richest people to donate the majority of their wealth to charity.
Bezos's ex-wife, MacKenzie Scott, signed the Giving Pledge in 2019 and has since become one of the leading philanthropists in the US. As of March this year, Scott had given away a total of $12.5 billion.
Representatives for Bezos did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- The rising affluence of small town consumers driving demand for premium products
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Mumbai
- Reliance Retail receives full subscription amount of Rs 2,069.50 cr from KKR, allots 1.71 cr shares
- As inflation continues to remain high, RBI likely to keep interest rates unchanged
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Bangalore