Mark Cuban says there is only ever room for '1 knucklehead' on any type of team
- Billionaire Mark Cuban said there's only ever room for "one knucklehead" in any type of team.
- He told Adam Grant's podcast he believes culture and chemistry are critical to success.
Billionaire Mark Cuban says he lives by one golden rule: there is only ever room for "one knucklehead" in any type of team.
"I have this rule: a team can have one knucklehead. You can't have two. One knucklehead adapts, two, hang out together," the Dallas Mavericks owner told the "Re:Thinking with Adam Grant" podcast.
"You can have one guy that's a heavy weed smoker. You can't have two, or certainly not three. I've literally made trades in the past because I had to get rid of one weed smoker."
Cuban said he had no problem with someone smoking weed, "but when you get into the habit of just hanging out and playing video games and smoking for six hours, that's a problem. So culture and chemistry are critical to success."
He also discussed the importance of team culture and said he liked to fire poor leaders who prompt their subordinates to leave and join competitors.
"Sometimes you've just got to turn it all upside down and get rid of the people that are part of the toxic side of it," Cuban told Adam Grant.
Listen to the full episode below.
- Passive Income Streams
- Gas stoves create more nanoparticle pollution than a busy street with diesel and gas cars, study finds
- Climate change could cause millions of children to be born prematurely, suffer lifelong complications
- Markets record rally makes investors richer by ₹4.29 lakh crore
- From undernutrition to obesity, Lancet study unveils India's double whammy