Mark Zuckerberg personally approved a project that pushed pro-Facebook stories into the news feeds of the platform's users, report says
Mark Zuckerbergapproved promoting pro-Facebook stories in users' news feeds, NYT reported Tuesday.
- The proposed "Project Amplify" involved running ads and pushing positive news stories about
- Facebook's overall strategy has shifted to become less apologetic in recent months.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg personally approved an internal effort to push positive stories about the besieged company via users' News Feeds, The New York Times reported Tuesday.
In January, executives proposed an initiative, code-named "Project Amplify," to run ads to show more pro-Facebook news stories and highlight more posts written by the company, according to the Times.
After Zuckerberg signed off on Project Amplify in August, Facebook began testing the changes in three cities through a tool called "Quick Promote," marking the first time the company explicitly pushed positive press about itself, the Times reported.
"There is zero change to the
Facebook has recently faced another wave of negative press and employees have increasingly been raising concerns about everything from its handling of COVID-19 misinformation to algorithmic changes that they feared promoted divisive political content.
In contrast to its response to the Cambridge Analytica data leak and other past scandals, Facebook's
In the January meeting, Facebook executives proposed defending the company more aggressively, according to the Times. But the Project Amplify reportedly shocked some in attendance.
Osborne refuted The Times' reporting about the January meeting in a series of tweets.
"People deserve to know the steps we're taking to address the different issues facing our company - and we're going to share those steps widely," Osborne told the Times, denying that the company's strategy had shifted.
- OnePlus RT, Moto G200 and more: All upcoming smartphone launches in India in December 2021
- Vim's new ad is a nudge to society to see women beyond archaic roles
- Anand Rathi aims to double its assets under management in the next 3-5 years, says MD Amit Rathi
- Hackers steal $120 million from DeFi protocol BadgerDAO — platform hits indefinite pause on all smart contract activity
- Delhi government to install 1.40 lakh CCTV cameras in second phase, says CM Arvind Kejriwal