Microsoft board members opened investigation into Bill Gates after a staffer said the pair had engaged in a sexual relationship, report says
- In 2019,
Microsoft's board reportedly investigated a staffer's claim of an affair with Bill Gates.
- The Wall Street Journal reported that the inquiry was prompted by a letter from the employee.
- A Gates representative said "there was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably."
Microsoft board members opened an investigation into Bill Gates in late 2019 after an employee said she had a sexual relationship with him that spanned years, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.The board hired a law firm to conduct the investigation after the staffer made the allegation in a letter, The Journal reported, adding that at least "some" board members concluded Gates should step down from the board. When Gates did step down in March 2020, he said it was to focus on "philanthropic priorities." The Journal said the investigation was not complete when he resigned.
According to The Journal, a representative for Gates said his decision to step down from the board was unrelated to the investigation into the relationship but acknowledged "there was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably."Read more: A day in the life of a divorce lawyer for NYC's wealthy elite who helps split up millions in assets, deals with bitter rivalries and cheating partners, and always makes it home by 6
The Journal's report came the same day as a report from The New York Times revealed allegations that Gates, while married, had pursued relationships with employees at Microsoft and at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The Times report also cited unnamed sources as saying Gates had been dismissive toward his wife,
- Long-lasting laptops with durable build quality
- Sensex has hit a new record but it's not clear if it will trek higher
- The rise in global crude oil prices may make India's April-June exports data look really good
- Baba Ramdev and Patanjali-owned Ruchi Soya wants to raise money from the market again
- Best office chairs for working from home