Netflix reportedly plans to keep some movies in theaters for longer before streaming, including its upcoming 'Knives Out' sequel
Netflixis considering releasing some moviesin theaters this year with a 45-day window, according to Bloomberg.
- One of the movies in consideration is the "Knives Out" sequel.
After years of back and forth between movie theaters and Netflix, the
Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw reported on Sunday that Netflix is considering releasing some movies in theaters this year with an exclusive theatrical window of 45 days. That's longer than the window Netflix has typically given the movies it releases in theaters, and more in line with what is emerging as a new windowing standard.
Two of the movies in consideration, according to Bloomberg, are the "Knives Out" sequel and director Alejandro González Iñárritu's "Bardo."
Netflix declined to comment on the Bloomberg report when requested by Insider.
The first "Knives Out" was a surprise box-office hit, grossing $165 million in the US and $311 million worldwide in 2019 off of a $40 million production budget.
Netflix landed two sequels to the movie last year in a deal worth more than $400 million, The
Netflix has long been resistant to longer windows for its theatrical releases. Its most recent Oscar contenders, "Don't Look Up" and "The Power of the Dog," were both given two-week theatrical windows before they became available to stream.
But that hasn't stopped the theatrical industry from trying to court the company.
"We're always open to bigger theatrical releases from the streaming companies if they have appropriate windows," John Fithian, the CEO of the National Association of Theatre Owners, recently told Insider during an interview. "The theater door is open to Netflix if they want to go with a bigger theatrical strategy."
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months