This new Android malware sits silently on your phone to remotely take control of your device
- Octo, a subset of ExoCompact malware has been discovered by ThreatFabric.
- The malware can take control of your device remotely.
- According to ThreatFabric, Octo is actively being sold to hackers on the darknet forums.
AdvertisementIf you are an Android user then you should be careful of a
Octo has been identified by ThreatFabric and they also shared a report that how it is being spread through darknet forums. The detailed report also shed some light on its existence. It evolved from ExoCompact malware which is based on Exo trojan.
Octo has advanced remote access capabilities powered by a live streaming module that is updated every second. Once an Android smartphone is compromised with Octo, it uses the black screen to hide remote operations. It sets screen brightness to zero and disables all the notifications by activating no interruption mode. Octo will also allow attackers to see what you’re typing on the keyboard including passwords and bank details.
Octo also features a list of commands like blocked notifications, temporary screen lock, SMS interception, remote access and even sending SMS to a specific number.
According to the report, Octo is being sold on online forums by using the alias ‘goodluck’ or ‘architect’.
List of known Android apps containing the Octo malware
- Pocket Screencaster
- Fast Cleaner 2021
- Pocket Screencaster
- BAWAG PSK Security
- Play Store app install
The only possible way to protect your device from Octo and other malicious Android apps is to be careful about what you install. Once malware is on your device then everything is accessible. Limit the number of apps you install and only install apps from trusted sources. Also, make sure Play Protect is activated on your device.
Amazon Fab Phones Fest 2022: best offers on mid-range smartphones
WhatsApp likely to roll out new drawing tools and media visibility features
Popular on BI
- ITC Q3 net profit rises 23% to Rs 5,070 cr; revenue up 3.5%
- Adani’s stock rout can impact its ability to raise capital or refinance debt, says Moody’s
- IndiGo profit soars to ₹1,422.6 crore in December quarter
- Tata Power Q3 net profit nearly doubles to ₹1,052 crore
- Gautam Adani loses richest Indian tag in 1 yr as he drops from 2 to 21 in world rich list