Police used Google Maps to track down a mafia fugitive who was on the run for 20 years
- Police arrested mafia fugitive Gioacchino Gammino in
Spainon December 17, La Repubblica reported.
- Investigators told The Guardian and Reuters they used
Google Street Viewto pinpoint his location.
A wanted Sicilian mafia fugitive was tracked down using
La Repubblica reported the
Italian police had already traced the convicted murderer, Gioacchino Gammino, to Spain. While looking at Google Street View, police saw a photograph of a man who appeared to be Gammino standing outside a grocery store, prosecutor Francesco Lo Voi confirmed to The Guardian.
Nicola Altiero, deputy director of the Italian anti-mafia police, also told Reuters the investigation had used Google Street View to pinpoint Gammino's location.
Further investigation revealed a nearby restaurant, which had a photograph of Gammino dressed as a chef on its Facebook page, Lo Voi also confirmed to The Guardian.
"It's not as if we spend our days wading through
"There were many previous and long investigations, which led us to Spain. We were on a good path, with Google Maps helping to confirm our investigations," he added.
Gioacchino Gammino escaped from a prison in Rome in 2002 and 2003, where he was serving a life sentence for murder, per Reuters. He was arrested on December 17, La Repubblica reports.
Altiero told Reuters that Gammino is in custody in Spain. Police hope to transfer him back to
- A millennial who became a millionaire after the 2008 crash says building wealth is about more than opportunistic investing. You also have to make lifestyle changes and load up on side hustles.
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- Learning AI can be lucrative: Freshers’ annual pay is ₹10-14 lakh in India, says TeamLease Digital report
- CoCo bonds fall sharply over Credit Suisse deal
- Date night conversations to diet charts – 10 things ChatGPT can help you with
- Gold is bankable, shines more than some western banks say experts
- Fear of financial crisis is keeping investors away from stock markets say experts