Sony PlayStation 4 dominates gaming console market in India
The other two models in the top 3 were Sony's
The total shipments for the calendar year 2020 is set to cross 72,000 units which will be 21 per cent less than 2019, according to the data provided by market research firm techARC.
In the first three quarters this year, over 42.8k units were shipped which is 30 per cent less than the volumes of the corresponding period for 2019.
In Q3 alone, Sony PlayStation captured 96.5 per cent of the shipped units.
"While the market for console based gaming has been squeezing over the past few years, we feel there is still potential of selling over 100,000 devices in a calendar year," said Faisal Kawoosa, Founder and Chief Analyst, techARC.
"The exposure to digital gaming through smartphones along with the rising trend of having immersive experience will drive this potential," he added.
Microsoft has announced that Xbox One and Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S
AdvertisementMicrosoft needs to rekindle the Xbox strategy for India to stay in business as the trend of PlayStation becoming the default choice is consolidating all through the quarters.
With the expected release of PlayStation 5, Sony is further expected to consolidate the market standing as many users are looking to buy this out during the festive season.
According to the report, the third quarter saw 13.5 per cent growth in gaming console shipments (YoY).
The average selling price (ASP) of Gaming Consoles is continuing to show a declining trend.
In the first three quarters of 2020, the ASP stood at Rs 33,605 against Rs 35,064 in 2019 and Rs 40,294 in 2018, respectively.
AdvertisementThis is going to positively impact the adoption of the gaming device and widen its consumer base, the report said.
"As the outdoor engagement remains limited due to Covid-19 precautions, more users are expected to invest in console gaming which gives immersive experience to users to engage," it added.
Sony brings Apple TV app to its smart TVs
Popular on BI
- Migration to other social media platforms shows no signs of slowing following Elon Musk's chaotic takeover at Twitter, report says
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- DroneAcharya AI IPO set to open next week on December 13; GMP at ₹25 per share
- Low pressure mounts over Andaman Sea, heavy rain expected to lash TN
- New Indian sustainable jet fuel technology could cut aviation emissions by 80%
- From digital shagun at a wedding to digital donation — unique use cases for Paytm go viral on social media
- Delhi HC seeks RBI stand on PIL seeking uniform banking code for foreign exchange transactions