Switching your phone to dark mode could be a game-changer for your battery life, especially if you have one of 3 iPhones
- Dark Mode, which inverts a smartphone's display to a predominantly black background, was a highly anticipated addition to Apple's iOS 13 release in September.
- Beyond being pleasing to the eye, dark mode can offer significant improvements to battery life.
- Phones with OLED screens, including the iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone XS, and iPhone X will see the greatest battery savings.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Dark Mode, which makes your iPhone's operating system predominantly black instead of white, was one of the most-anticipated additions when Apple released iOS 13 in September.
Many apps have had a dark version built in for years, and it's popular among users - many people find that it's pleasing to the eyes, and also less harsh in low-light environments.
But there might be a bonus to using dark mode, beyond aesthetics: before it was released, experts predicted that dark mode could have huge battery-saving potential. Now we know that it does, especially for OLED screens.
Here's how dark mode can make your phone last longer.
YouTube channel PhoneBuff posted a video that compares how an iPhone XS Max's battery life performs in both regular and dark mode at the same brightness level.
After hours of use, the dark mode iPhone was at 43% battery, significantly higher than the light mode iPhone, which was at 20%.
The video highlights the major difference in battery life: at the time the iPhone in light mode died, the dark mode iPhone still had 30% battery left.
The iPhone XS, iPhone X, and iPhone 11 Pro are where the major battery savings come in, because they all have OLED screens.
OLED screens produce true black displays by turning off the corresponding pixels. This means that in Dark Mode, any black areas of the screen will be shut off completely, saving battery power.
To turn on dark mode on your iPhone, open up Settings, then go to Display & Brightness. You'll see light and dark mode, plus the option to change the mode depending on the time of day.
- 'Die-hard' Nintendo fan spent over $40,000 buying stock and then asked top executives why the company won't make more of a fan-favorite series
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- It’s not the CM seat but the one who wields ‘bow and arrow’ will be the Sena head
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report