Tesla is reversing its enormous Solar Roof price hikes for some customers, court documents show
- In April,
Teslaincreased prices on its Solar Rooffor customers waiting on installation.
- A customer whose roof price went up by $75,000 filed a class-action lawsuit.
- Tesla's lawyers said the company will help some customers return to the original pricing.
In June 2020 Amans signed up to have a Tesla Solar Roof installed on his house. In March 2021, he agreed to pay $71,662.06. Over the weekend of April 10, Tesla jacked the price up to $146,462.22.
Amans wasn't alone, Tesla Solar Customers customers who had signed a contract but not had their roof installed were hit with price hikes.
A document from Amans' case filed Thursday said Tesla's lawyers informed the plaintiffs' lawyers on Monday that the company plans to let some customers revert to the original price.
The filing says: "Counsel for Tesla informed counsel for Plaintiffs that Tesla had recently launched a program for customers who signed Solar Roof contracts before the April 2021 price changes to return those customers to their original pricing (if they were subject to a price increase in April 2021)."
The Solar Roof is the flagship product of Tesla's solar energy division. Rather than installing panels on top of a customer's roof, it is made up of individual shingles, which are also solar cells.
Tesla did not immediately reply when contacted by Insider for comment. Tesla's attorneys were listed as having signed the document.
Do you work at Tesla
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet