'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Google took a jab at Apple over how it converts texts and media from Android users to iPhones.
- Google is calling for Apple to adopt RCS, a new standard for converting media between devices.
On Tuesday, Google took a blatant jab at Apple on its website over what it says is Apple's failure to improve the user experience between iPhone and Android users.
Some users have long lamented the green message bubbles that come with cross-device messaging, like poor-quality compressed videos, the lack of read receipts, and other headaches.
Google blames Apple, as the company converts texts sent between iPhones and Androids into what's called SMS and MMS, both of which are decades-old methods of sending text-only messages from device to device.
Instead, Google argues Apple should use something called Rich Communication Services, or RSC, which it says is the "modern industry standard" meant to improve how people can send texts and calls but also media like emojis, videos, and photos.
"These problems exist because Apple refuses to adopt modern texting standards when people with iPhones and Android phones text each other," reads the Android website.
The page prompts visitors to share the campaign on social media and "help @Apple #getthemessage."
"Texting between iPhone and Android is broken. It's time for Apple to fix green and blue bubbles, and texting for everyone," reads the social text.
Apple did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
This is only the latest instance in which Google has called for Apple to adopt RCS. In June, Google seized an opportunity to get its point across when rapper Drake released his song "Texts Go Green" about miscommunication with a partner.
Google's social team posted an "unofficial lyric explainer video" praising the song and interpreting the lyrics as complaints against iPhone turning Android users' texts green.
—Android (@Android) June 18, 2022
"If only some super talented engineering team at Apple would fix this," reads Google's June video.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May