The best budget printers
- Today's budget printers don't skimp on features or print quality and come loaded with additional functions like copy, scan, and even fax.
- For our guide to the best budget printers, we focused on models priced under a hundred dollars.
With its plentiful features, great print quality, and very low price, our pick for the best cheap printer is the Canon Pixma TR4520. Following close behind is our second favorite, the Epson Expression Premium XP-7100.
Whether you need to churn out pages upon pages of a college class essay, scan receipts, create graphics for a scrapbook, or make copies of a business contract, a modern printer is a handy computing peripheral to have around. Even if your printing needs are limited, many printers today can do more than just print, and they are relatively compact and operate wirelessly, so they can be tucked away in a closet or cabinet.
And don't let a small budget hold you back: For a low price, you can get a high-quality printer that produces crisp text and colorful photos. You'll also find that many affordable printers are multifunction units that can scan, copy, and even fax, and include useful features like an automatic document feeder, auto-duplexing (two-sided), and wireless connectivity. With these extras, a printer is a great tool for digitizing hard-copy documents, even if you never print a single page.
Budget models tend to use inkjet technology, but there are also good laser options. Affordable laser printers are generally barebones and print in only black and white, but our recommendation is fast and reliable, and makes great-quality prints.
Do keep in mind that while these printers aren't expensive to buy, they can be expensive to maintain, particularly inkjet models. This is the case if you print often, or you make a lot of high-quality color prints like photos or scrapbook printables. Heavy-duty users should look at the cost of ink replacement and the page yields before investing in a unit. Also, while we tried to pick products from reliable brands, printers are mechanical - with many moving parts, they can fail.
As a tech journalist who has covered printers for nearly 15 years, I have tested a variety of models, from single-function inkjet devices to wide-format photo printers and high-end, multifunction laser units. Considering pricing, features, ease of use, and reliability, these are the best budget printers.
Here are the best budget printers you can buy:
- Best budget printer overall: Canon Pixma TR4520
- Best budget photo printer: Epson Expression Premium XP-7100
- Best budget compact printer: HP DeskJet 3755
- Best budget laser printer: Brother HLL2320D
- Best budget color laser alternative: Epson WorkForce Pro WF-3730
Updated on 12/10/2019 by Les Shu: Replaced all recommendations with newer options. Updated copy and formatting.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best budget printer overall
The best budget photo printer
The best budget compact printer
The best budget laser printer
The best budget color laser alternative
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- Fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi removed from Interpol database of Red Notices
- US condemns attack on Indian Consulate in San Francisco; pledges to defend safety, security
- Paul Grant who played Ewok on Star Wars passes away at 56
- Sensex, Nifty50 edge up in morning trade led by gains in financial services, PSU bank stocks
- Always open for negotiation: Putin tells Xi Jinping on Ukraine peace plan