The former head of Google's abandoned video game project has a new PlayStation-exclusive game studio
- The former head of Google's short-lived game development efforts has a new project for
PlayStation. Jade Raymond, who also co-created "Assassin's Creed," is leading a new PlayStation studio.
- It's been less than two months since Google shuttered its game creation studios, led by Raymond.
The veteran game developer who most recently led Google's shuttered game development studios has a new project: Jade Raymond is the head of a new PlayStation-exclusive studio.
"Today I'm announcing Haven, an independent studio where many of the talented game developers I have worked with for years (and love dearly!) are coming together to do what we are most passionate about," Raymond said on the PlayStation Blog on Tuesday.
The new PlayStation studio announcement comes less than two months since Google suddenly closed its massive game development project, Google Stadia Games & Entertainment.
Raymond, a video-game industry veteran who co-created the "Assassin's Creed" franchise, was charged with leading Google's project. Despite Google hiring more than 150 employees to staff the project, the tech giant ended its game creation ambitions in early February before ever launching a major game.
"We've decided that we will not be investing further in bringing exclusive content from our internal development team SG&E, beyond any near-term planned games," Google Stadia Vice President Phil Harrison said in a blog post at the time.
Major video game development notoriously costs tens of millions of dollars, and often takes over three years to create a single game. Some of the biggest blockbusters, like "Grand Theft Auto 5," cost hundreds of millions of dollars and take far longer than three years to create. Google's studios in Los Angeles and
Alongside the closure of her studios, which resulted in over 150 layoffs, Raymond exited Google.
It's unclear what her new studio's first project is, but she teased it in the blog post. "While we don't have many details to announce today," she said, "I want the PlayStation community to know that
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- 1,330 recognised startups from gaming and related sectors as on Nov 30: Som Parkash
- Sula Vineyards to open IPO next week from Dec 12-14; GMP already at ₹70 per share
- India to add 9 million gig jobs by 2025 says Indeed report
- From Brahmastra to KGF: The most searched movies on Google in 2022 in India
- Adjusted for inflation, policy rate still remains accommodative, says RBI Governor