The guy in the famous 'Bad Luck Brian' meme sold it as crypto-art for $36,000
- The '
Bad Luck Brian' meme sold for $36,000 on March 9 as a piece of digital art.
- The meme first appeared in 2012.
- Now it's part of a series of non-fungible tokens containing internet
memesand other historic digital artifacts.
'Bad Luck Brian' hit a stroke of good luck this week when the creator of the schadenfreude-fueled meme sold the original photo as a piece of crypto-art for 20 ethereum, or around $36,000.
The auction took place on Foundation, an online marketplace for non-fungible tokens that has hosted several other high-profile sales of crypto-art. The winner of the auction, which closed on March 9, is identified as @a on the Foundation platform.
@a will have a digital signature, or proof of ownership, inscribed on the
The subject of the "Bad Luck Brian" meme, whose real name is Kyle, shot to fame after an awkward yearbook photo of him went viral in 2012.
At the time, selling the digital ownership of the meme as an
The NFT meme market is red-hot. The Nyan Cat meme sold for almost $600,000 as an NFT in February. Jack Dorsey is auctioning off ownership of the first-ever Tweet to benefit charity.
And elsewhere on Foundation, another early internet joke is up for sale. Sadly for "Scumbag Steve," nobody has yet bit on him.
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- With inflation cooling, RBI may slash interest rates by 50 bps this financial year
- ULIPs are not for senior citizens: Here’s how to choose the right investments to secure the golden years of your life
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career