TikTok owner Bytedance's cofounder Zhang Yiming steps down as CEO, saying he's not an 'ideal manager'
Zhang Yiming, cofounder of TikTokparent company ByteDance, is stepping down as CEO, Reuters reported.
- Zhang told employees he isn't an "ideal manager" and would be better in a role that doesn't involve managing people.
- Zhang has reportedly built a $36 billion fortune since launching Bytedance.
Zhang Yiming, the cofounder of the Chinese internet giant ByteDance, which owns TikTok, is stepping down as CEO, Reuters reported Wednesday.
"The truth is, I lack some of the skills that make an ideal manager. I'm more interested in analyzing organizational and market principles, and leveraging these theories to further reduce management work, rather than actually managing people," Zhang wrote in a memo to employees, according to Reuters.
"Similarly, I'm not very social, preferring solitary activities like being online, reading, listening to music, and contemplating what may be possible," he added.
Zhang said ByteDance cofounder and HR chief Rubo Liang will transition into the CEO role over the next six months, Reuters reported.
Zhang, a 38-year-old software engineer who cofounded ByteDance in 2021, has since built a net worth of around $44.5 billion, Bloomberg estimates. Despite being one of the wealthiest people in
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23