TikTok's parent company reportedly saw $5.6 billion in revenue during the first three months of 2020
- ByteDance, the parent company of short-video app
TikTok, generated $5.6 billion in revenuefor the first-quarter of 2020, Reuters reports.
- This figure represents 130% growth in revenue year-over-year for the China-based company, which is now reportedly worth more than $100 billion.
- ByteDance's rolodex of social platforms are wildly popular, but they've seen even greater growth this year as people stay home more and practice social distancing.
Q1 2020, TikTok set a record for the most downloads any app has ever had in a single quarter.
The Chinese startup behind TikTok and other popular social networking apps reportedly generated $5.6 billion in revenue in the first three months of 2020.
ByteDance's first-quarter figure represents a 130% growth in revenue year-over-year, according to Reuters. The China-based company was most recently valued at $100 billion, Bloomberg reported, increasing its lead as the most valuable private startup in the world.
Amid the coronavirus outbreak,
Meanwhile, TikTok accrued 315 million installs in Q1 2020, setting a record for the most downloads any app has ever had in a single quarter. The app has continued its success as the go-to launchpad for Generation Z memes and internet culture, and recently surpassed 2 billion all-time global downloads across iOS and Android devices.
Looking ahead, ByteDance has reportedly set a 2020 revenue goal of about 200 billion yuan, around $28.2 billion. That revenue figure is $11.2 billion more than ByteDance generated in 2019, when the company saw $17 billion in revenue and $3 billion in net profit. The company generated at least $7 billion in revenue in just the first-half of last year, meaning ByteDance could be on the trajectory for robust growth through the rest of 2020.
The positive outlook for revenue could be helpful if ByteDance is still considering plans to go public on the Hong Kong stock exchange, as outlets have previously reported. An analyst told Bloomberg in May the company could IPO at a valuation between $150 billion and $180 billion.
- Solana, Cardano, Polkadot and others — here’s a quick look at why these crypto tokens are being touted as ‘Ethereum Killers’
- Uber now lets you book rides on WhatsApp in Lucknow — slated to roll out in more Indian cities soon
- Air Pollution Control Day: These are a few simple ways by which you can help the environment
- BYJU's Early Learn App, Disney onboards Olympic medalists Neeraj Chopra and PV Sindhu as its brand ambassadors
- Project Ironman: Leak sheds light on Motorola’s AR glasses with touchpad-bearing neckband and Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset