Timex takes a witty swipe at Apple Watches with a new billboard: 'Know the time without seeing you have 1,249 unanswered emails'
- Timex took a light jab at Apple's smartwatches with a new billboard in New York City.
- "Know the time without seeing you have 1,249 unanswered emails," it reads.
Apple may be the leader in the smartwatch market, but a longer-time player wants to remind you of the joys of analog watches.
Timex is promoting a new watch with a New York City billboard. The $140 watch, a collaboration with the Brooklyn-based clothing company Adsum, is currently sold out. But the ad's message lives on.
"Know the time without seeing you have 1,249 unanswered emails," reads the sleek, minimalist billboard, apparently referring to Apple's Watch that displays your notifications on your wrist.
Timex was founded in 1854 and has become a global household name for traditional watches. But Apple gave consumers a very different product with its series of smartwatches starting in 2015.
However, there is something that traditional watches haven't given us that smartwatches may have: notification anxiety.
Smartwatches deliver a slew of real-time health data like heart rhythm to you right to your wrist and can cause obsessive self-monitoring, as Digital Trends reported in late 2021.
But that hasn't stopped Apple watch from being a hit, even though it wasn't always — it struggled to appeal to people for the first year or so into its presence on the market.
Then Apple changed its strategy to gear the Watch more towards fitness — a tool to track one's physical health while also staying on top of regular iPhone alerts — instead of mere fashion or luxury. The Watch Series 2, for example, rolled out in 2016 and came with GPS that you could use without your smartphone.
The fitness focus caused the Apple Watch to skyrocket in popularity, and it leapfrogged Rolex as the number one watch in the world in mid-2017.
Apple has since blown past legacy Swiss watch companies, like Swatch, TAG Heuer, and others, who are struggling to compete with the phone giant's hit fitness-oriented smartwatch.
Apple shipped an estimated 31 million units in 2019, versus the 21 million shipments from Swiss watch brands, research firm Strategy Analytics said in an early 2020 report.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Meet the heroes of Chennai Super Kings’ who helped Dhoni lift IPL 2023
- Flex space demand on the rise as hybrid work model finds footing: Colliers
- UP Police ties up with Amazon India to protect online shoppers from scamsters
- Mumbai Police issues prohibitory orders till June 11 – Find out what’s allowed and what’s not
- Foreign inflows of $45-50 bn over next 2 years to drive the next market rally, says Jimeet Modi