RBI rolls out UPI for feature phones — you will no longer need a smartphone or internet to make payments digitally
- India’s central bank has launched
UPI paymentservice for feature phones.
- This will bring non-smartphone users to the platform and enable them to pay digitally without needing an internet connection.
- The move will further fuel India’s digital payment adoption.
AdvertisementThe Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has rolled out Unified Payments Interface (UPI) for feature phones. Following his announcement in December 2021, the RBI governor has now delivered the promise of bringing the simplified digital payment service to non-smart mobile phones in India.
“While we have been growing impressively in digital payments, a large part of digitisation is limited to people with smartphones. There are about 40 crore
UPI is a platform developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) together with the Reserve Bank of India and the Indian Banks Association (IBA). It is a platform that brings together various banking services and features in a single app. Users have a unique UPI ID that can be used to send and receive payments using a secure PIN. These payments can be made using a mobile number associated with the UPI ID as well.
Digital payment via UPI is not only safe, but it fastens and simplifies the way we send and receive money. It also makes payments seamless for new age app-based food delivery, ride-hailing, e-commerce and similar services.
In the calendar year 2021, UPI touched record high transactions, both in volume and value terms. As per National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), UPI processed more than 38 billion transactions, amounting to ₹71.59 trillion.
With the launch of UPI on feature phones, the transactions are projected to grow even further in CY 2022.
India records 3,993 new COVID-19 cases, lowest in almost two years
Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly looking to leave Manchester United to join Messi and Neymar at Paris Saint-Germain
Popular on BI
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know