Vint Cerf, who helped create the internet, has the coronavirus
- Vint Cerf, the American computer scientist widely credited with co-creating the internet, has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Cerf, who currently serves as Google's chief internet evangelist, announced the news in a tweet Monday in which he said he was "recovering" from the disease.
- Numerous tech industry figures replied to the tweet with well-wishes, including several Google employees, while the DARPA's official Twitter account also wished him a speedy recovery.
- Along with fellow computer scientist Bob Kahn, the 76-year-old created the protocols fundamental to the modern internet.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In the tweet, Cerf also linked to a video of comedian John Oliver, in which the "Last Week Tonight" host criticized Donald Trump's handling of the coronavirus crisis.
Numerous tech industry figures replied to the tweet with well-wishes, including the senior vice president at Google AI, Jeff Dean, and Julia Ferraioli, a senior developer advocate for Google Cloud Platform.The Twitter account of one of Cerf's earliest employers, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, also wished him a quick return to full health.Along with fellow computer scientist Bob Kahn, Cerf wrote the protocols that would lay the groundwork for the modern internet.
Known for his unusually formal attire - unusual in the tech industry, at least - Cerf has since worked in numerous roles, both advisory and humanitarian.
Startlingly, he has also warned that a century's worth of digital content like photos and emails could be lost if the programs needed to view them become defunct.Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
And get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
I tested positive for COVID-19 and am recovering. Listen to what John Oliver has to say about our national response so far: https://t.co/Adgiy3Z9NA- vinton g cerf (@vgcerf) March 30, 2020
- YES Bank launches a new musical logo to build a deeper connect with customers
- COVID-19: Students should leave hostels in Bengaluru if their institutions declare a holiday, says BBMP
- Non-banking finance firm Power Finance Corporation records 49% jump in net profits in FY21
- The Internet's original source code is going up for auction on Sotheby's as an NFT this month
- Best 55-inch smart TVs with 4K resolution