Watch this video of Cassie, a bipedal robot that ran a 5K outdoors for the first time, finishing in 53 minutes on a single charge
- Cassie, a bipedal
robotbuilt at Oregon State University, has run a 5K outdoors for the first time.
- The robot, produced by Agility
Robotics, finished in 53 minutes after recovering from two falls.
- This is the first such robot to "use machine learning to control a running gait on outdoor terrain."
A robot in Oregon isn't trying to run the world - it just wants to run a 5K.
The bipedal bot, named Cassie, did just that. The robot completed the 5K in just over 53 minutes on a single battery charge, according to a press release from Oregon State University, where it was invented. Its time is roughly comparable to the half-hour many people take to finish a 5K.
The achievement makes Cassie "the first bipedal robot to use machine learning to control a running gait on outdoor terrain," according to the release.
Cassie encountered two minor hiccups along the way: The robot fell twice, once because of an overheated computer, and the second time because it was asked to turn at too high a speed, the release says.
The robot is the product of
Cassie owes the success of her run to a combination of "biomechanics and existing robot control approaches with new machine learning tools," Agility co-founder Jonathan Hurst said in the release.
"This type of holistic approach will enable animal-like levels of performance," he continued. "It's incredibly exciting."
"Running requires dynamic balancing - the ability to maintain balance while switching positions or otherwise being in motion - and Cassie has learned to make infinite subtle adjustments to stay upright while moving," the release says, adding that Cassie has "knees that bend like an ostrich's."
Agility launched Cassie in 2017. The robot has previously learned how to climb up and down stairs, according to the release. Agility has since made a humanoid robot named Digit, which has arms for tasks like handling packages.
Watch OSU's video of Cassie running the 5K here:
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders