WhatsApp offers ₹51 cashback as it takes on PhonePe and Google Pay in India
- This feature is currently available to WhatsApp beta users on Android.
- You can get the cashback up to five times, and by sending money to different contacts.
AdvertisementWhatsApp started testing cashback for its UPI-based payments service last month. It has now started rolling out this feature to Android beta users on WhatsApp. The new cashback offer seems like a new way for WhatsApp to push its payments service in India.
The WhatsApp beta app on Android has started displaying a banner on top of the chat list with the message, “Give cash, get ₹51 back.” You can get a guaranteed cashback of ₹51 up to five times by sending money to different contacts. WhatsApp also hasn’t set a limit on the amount for this cashback offer. We can confirm this works so you can send ₹1 you still get ₹51 back. Once you make the payment, ₹51 is immediately credited to your account along with a notification from WhatsApp.
Although the cashback is guaranteed, it looks like you can avail it only five times. This feature is also available only to beta users and on Android. But considering it’s already available for beta users WhatsApp is expected to make it widely available for all users in India.
With the new feature, WhatsApp looks like it’s taking the Google Pay route to lure users into using the payments service. Google Pay also offered a cashback of up to ₹1,000 through scratch cards when it first launched in India. This scheme is still going on along with coupons for other services. WhatsApp also launched Google Pay-like background cards that add a little bit of colour and personalised experience to payments.
It also added a payment shortcut button right on the chat bar of the app. The WhatsApp Pay shortcut is a rupee symbol button that is very prominent and you will most likely not miss.
Here’s how you can secure your Android phones and tablets to stay safe from privacy threats
Best smartphones under ₹25,000 in India in October 2021
Popular on BI
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Essar Oil UK to build carbon capture facility
- Samsung India will hire 1,000 engineers from top institutes for R&D units
- Slower rate hikes on the cards, say analysts ahead of RBI’s December monetary policy meet
- Paytm’s pioneership in payments strengthens with over 5 million device deployments
- Gaming platform MPL bans over 1 million user accounts