WhatsApp offers ₹51 cashback as it takes on PhonePe and Google Pay in India
- This feature is currently available to WhatsApp beta users on Android.
- You can get the cashback up to five times, and by sending money to different contacts.
AdvertisementWhatsApp started testing cashback for its UPI-based payments service last month. It has now started rolling out this feature to Android beta users on WhatsApp. The new cashback offer seems like a new way for WhatsApp to push its payments service in India.
The WhatsApp beta app on Android has started displaying a banner on top of the chat list with the message, “Give cash, get ₹51 back.” You can get a guaranteed cashback of ₹51 up to five times by sending money to different contacts. WhatsApp also hasn’t set a limit on the amount for this cashback offer. We can confirm this works so you can send ₹1 you still get ₹51 back. Once you make the payment, ₹51 is immediately credited to your account along with a notification from WhatsApp.
Although the cashback is guaranteed, it looks like you can avail it only five times. This feature is also available only to beta users and on Android. But considering it’s already available for beta users WhatsApp is expected to make it widely available for all users in India.
With the new feature, WhatsApp looks like it’s taking the Google Pay route to lure users into using the payments service. Google Pay also offered a cashback of up to ₹1,000 through scratch cards when it first launched in India. This scheme is still going on along with coupons for other services. WhatsApp also launched Google Pay-like background cards that add a little bit of colour and personalised experience to payments.
It also added a payment shortcut button right on the chat bar of the app. The WhatsApp Pay shortcut is a rupee symbol button that is very prominent and you will most likely not miss.
Here’s how you can secure your Android phones and tablets to stay safe from privacy threats
Best smartphones under ₹25,000 in India in October 2021
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala