Netflix games on iOS could be slightly different than Android, here’s why
Netflixhas reportedly been testing games actively on iOS.
- But the games won’t be all downloadable and playable on the Netflix app.
- This is due to Apple’s App Store policies that prevent all-in-one third-party gaming services.
According to code discovered by developer Steve Moser and Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, Netflix has been actively testing games on iOS. According to Gurman, Netflix is planning to launch games individually on the App Store and let users launch them via the Netflix app. Gurman added that not all the games would be downloadable and playable within the iOS app.
It looks like Netflix too will have to bear the brunt of Apple’s App Store policies that have prevented companies like Microsoft and Google from offering their cloud gaming services natively. Apple requires each game to be submitted for review, and also have dedicated pages on the App Store which led Microsoft and Google to launch their cloud gaming services on iOS through web apps.
This approach will be slightly different from how
Netflix will offer the game catalogue on its iOS app too but loading and playing the game will take place separately. Android users can still play the game through the Netflix app. This might ruin Netflix’s approach to offering games on its platform since there won’t be anything different other than the company’s branding on the games. Even the current lineup of games has only two based on the Netflix series ‘Stranger Things’ and the other three are casual games.
Netflix mobile games are now available globally for Android users, iOS users may have to wait
Reed Hastings explains the psychology behind Netflix games in an exclusive interview: 'We're unafraid to fail'
Popular on BI
- Budget 2022 expectation: Why India needs an urban MGNREGA
- Here’s why there is less adoption of the new tax regime and how budget 2022 can make it more attractive
- A market guru explains why real estate, housing and textiles should get some budget boost
- From tax structure rationalisation to expanding EV charging infrastructure, here’s what the industry wants from Budget 2022
- Best smartphones with 3.5mm headphone jack