You can't use Apple Maps offline — here are the 4 best alternatives for navigating without an internet connection
- You can't use
Apple Mapsoffline, so you need to use a different app for navigation if you don't have a connection.
- As an alternative, you can use offline navigation apps like HERE WeGo or MAPS.ME.
Apple Maps has blossomed into a powerful and easy to use navigation app for the iPhone. But as good as it might be, the app still requires you to have internet access at the start of a trip.
You can't use Apple Maps offline
To put it plainly, the current iteration of Apple Maps has no offline capability for navigation.
If you start your journey deep from a remote area that lacks cellular and WiFi service, for instance, you won't be able to use the app to find your way back to civilization.
There are a few alternative navigation apps you can use if you know you'll be headed somewhere that Apple Maps is
Download Google Maps for offline navigation
Apple Maps doesn't let you download a route and use it offline, but
Other offline map alternatives to Apple Maps
Aside from Google Maps, you have a few other offline map alternatives to Apple Maps that are worthwhile.
- HERE WeGo. HERE WeGo is a free turn-by-turn navigation app that has street-level maps for nearly 2,000 cities with guidance available for car, transit, and on foot. Start the app and drag the navigation window up from the bottom of the screen. In the Offline Maps section, turn on Use app offline by swiping the button to the right and then choose the map you want to store offline — choices include all the major continents worldwide.
- MAPS.ME. A great navigation app if you spend a lot of time in areas without cellular or Wi-Fi, MAPS.ME automatically downloads maps for offline use as soon as you start the app, so you never need to remember to configure it for offline use. The map data comes from the Open Source OpenStreetMap Foundation, and the app is free without any in-app purchases.
- TrailLink. While other navigation apps focus on streets and roads, TrailLink is designed with outdoor enthusiasts in mind and focuses on trails. Every trail — there are about 40,000 miles of them in the app — can be downloaded with a tap for offline use, though the app requires you to register and has a pay-per-use model. You can get unlimited use for $29.99 a year or purchase trails as you need them for a few dollars.
- Top 10 must-visit destinations in South Africa
- Indian markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Stock markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Icy pebbles may be carrying water to developing planets across the cosmos!
- With $500 billion in reserves, LIC is the world’s fourth largest insurer