YouTube's revenue nearly doubled to $7 billion as digital ad spend rebounds in 2021
YouTube's revenue soared 84% year-on-year to just over $7 billion.
- A post-2020 rebound in online advertising drove the company's success.
- The firm's in-house TikTok rival YouTube Shorts more than doubled daily views in three months.
YouTube's revenue almost doubled to $7 billion in the second quarter of 2021, fueled in large part by a rebound in online advertising.
The video-sharing giant unveiled a strong three-month performance as part of parent company Google's quarterly earnings announcement on Tuesday, with YouTube's overall revenue jumping a whopping 84% compared to the previous year.
Fast-forward to 2021, however, and YouTube smashed analyst expectations - which suggested revenues would be closer to $6.3 billion - and contributed to Google's overall ad revenue surging 69% on the previous year, to $50 billion.
The company also revealed its in-house TikTok competitor, YouTube Shorts, had "surpassed 15 billion global daily views," more than double the 6.5 billion views it was counting up just three months ago.
Speaking to investors, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the company had set "a number of records" over the past three months, adding that it had paid YouTube creators more than any quarter in history.
Tuesday marked Google's first earnings report since March, when it announced its plan to shift away from tracking individual users based on their internet activity.
Google's earnings also come as the company faces multiple antitrust lawsuits and likely a tougher regulatory environment under a host of new Biden appointees, such as Federal Trade Commission chair Lina Khan.
Are you a current or former Googler with more to share? You can contact this reporter securely using the encrypted messaging app Signal (+447801985586) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Reach out using a nonwork device.
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning
- India, Japan agree to strengthen economic cooperation including achieving progress on high-speed railway project
- India rises to No 1 in ODIs, becomes top ranked team in all formats
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x