'What is Google Fiber?': Everything you need to know about Google's high-speed internet service
- Google Fiber is a broadband internet service that Google is currently deploying in 18 cities across the US.
- The service is notable because of its high speed, running up to 1000 Mbps, with a friendly month-to-month, all-inclusive pricing scheme.
- Despite the initial promise of the network, Google has paused expansion of Fiber beyond its current 18 cities, and notably pulled Fiber out of several cities where it attempted to deploy the service.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Google Fiber is Google's fiber optic-based broadband internet service that debuted in 2010. It's a "fiber-to-the-premises" service that delivers high-speed connectivity to businesses and individuals in select cities.
While it once appeared that Google intended to roll out Google Fiber across the entire US, the company "paused" deployment of the service in 2016, and it hasn't announced plans for further expansion beyond its current selection of 18 cities.
"We do not have anything to share on expanding beyond our current markets at this time," a Google Fiber spokesperson told Business Insider, when asked about possible expansion of the service. "Currently, we're focused on providing a great customer service experience for customers in the areas where we are available."
Get the latest Google stock price here.
Where Google Fiber currently operates
What Google Fiber offers
The service's change of course
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry