WhatsApp users are being urged to update the app immediately after it was hacked - here's how to get protected
- WhatsApp is urging users to update the app after it was targeted by hackers.
- Scroll on to find out how to make sure your phone is safe.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
WhatsApp is urging people to update the app immediately after it was targeted by hackers installing sophisticated spyware on users' phones, giving them access to a trove of data.
The security vulnerability has been fixed in updated versions of WhatsApp released in recent days, but some users will need to manually update the app to get protected.
It is not yet known how many of WhatsApp's 1.5 billion users were targeted by the bad actors, who installed the surveillance technology - developed by Israel's NSO Group - by phoning the target through WhatsApp's call functionality.
Facebook, which owns WhatsApp, said: "WhatsApp encourages people to upgrade to the latest version of our app, as well as keep their mobile operating system up to date, to protect against potential targeted exploits designed to compromise information stored on mobile devices."
Scroll on to find out how to make sure your phone is safe.
First, check to see if you have the latest version of WhatsApp. Let's start with Android.
Now to get updating.
Here's how to check your version of WhatsApp if you have an iPhone.
Finally, here's how to update WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Dream 11 parent Dream Sports to hire 200 people in India across various domains
- Snap's stock plummets by 22% as Apple’s iPhone privacy changes hit its advertising business
- Twitter now lets anyone on Android and iOS host Spaces
- PUBG: New State with ‘PC-like’ gameplay will officially launch on November 11
- Nykaa has added a skincare brand to its shopping cart, a week before its IPO