Tesla's massive batteries could power 50,000 homes in Australia - here are 15 other ways they're already being used
Tesla is preparing to launch its biggest battery project yet.Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Friday in Australia that it will use its giant battery, the Powerpack, to build a 100 MW battery system in South Australia. When it's completed, it will be the biggest battery storage project in the world.Advertisement
The batteries will store energy generated by a wind farm in Jamestown, South Australia. The battery system could be large enough to power 50,000 homes.
Since acquiring SolarCity in November, Tesla has been doubling down on its renewable energy efforts.Tesla has been selling the Powerpack and its at-home battery, the Powerwall, since 2015. The company released upgraded versions of both the Powerwall and Powerpack and also unveiled its solar roof product. Tesla began accepting orders for the solar roof in March.
South Australia is far from the only place running on Tesla's giant commercial batteries. Here's a look at some of the biggest projects - from resorts to entire islands - that are currently using Tesla's Powerpacks to help keep the lights on:Get the latest Tesla stock price here.Advertisement
- 144 new COVID-19 cases in Assam; total rises to 1,024
- Odisha govt announces exemption of road tax for passenger buses
- Decision to reopen shrines would lead to spike in COVID-19 cases: WB BJP chief
- One more COVID-19 death in Jharkhand, total cases 521
- Bihar reports 19 COVID-19 deaths; number of cases rises to 3,359