Tesla's massive batteries could power 50,000 homes in Australia - here are 15 other ways they're already being used
Tesla is preparing to launch its biggest battery project yet.Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Friday in Australia that it will use its giant battery, the Powerpack, to build a 100 MW battery system in South Australia. When it's completed, it will be the biggest battery storage project in the world.Advertisement
The batteries will store energy generated by a wind farm in Jamestown, South Australia. The battery system could be large enough to power 50,000 homes.
Since acquiring SolarCity in November, Tesla has been doubling down on its renewable energy efforts.Tesla has been selling the Powerpack and its at-home battery, the Powerwall, since 2015. The company released upgraded versions of both the Powerwall and Powerpack and also unveiled its solar roof product. Tesla began accepting orders for the solar roof in March.
South Australia is far from the only place running on Tesla's giant commercial batteries. Here's a look at some of the biggest projects - from resorts to entire islands - that are currently using Tesla's Powerpacks to help keep the lights on:Get the latest Tesla stock price here.Advertisement
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi calls for a bigger role for India at the UN, says reform is the need of the hour
- China says WHO gave support for Covid vaccine emergency use
- WHO warns death toll may hit 2mn even with vaccine